Vacheron Constantin is regarded as the oldest watch manufacturer in continuous operation since it was founded in 1755 by Jean-Marc Vacheron. With tremendous optimism amidst the French Revolution and the occupation of Geneva by Directory troops, the second son of Jean-Marc Vacheron, Abraham Vacheron produced the first known Lépine style watch at the end of 1780. From 1810 Jacques-Barthélémi Vacheron took over the commercial part of the business and expanded beyond Switzerland to France first and then Italy. Following this somewhere around 1850’s, the son of a merchant, François Constantin came together with Jacques-Barthélémi Vacheron and “Vacheron et Constantin” was brought to life.
From the pantograph that was developed by prolific inventor Georges-Auguste Leschot around 1839 the Masion has has continued to enhance and reinvent the art of Fine Watchmaking. Today producing a limited number of pieces to provide the highest levels of quality, design and craftsmanship, the Maison, a part of Richemont, strives to uphold a singular and refined standing in an industry that is already extremely selective.